Sulphur Cap 2020 - Tackling a Paradigm Shift in the Shipping Industry
The traditional CIMAC Circle at the SMM trade fair in Hamburg took place on the 6th September 2018 with the title “Sulphur Cap 2020 - Tackling a Paradigm Shift in the Shipping Industry”, which is presently one of the hottest topics in the industry, with keen ears looking forward to expert views from specialists from the industry.
The panel was chaired by Axel Kettmann, ABB Turbo Systems, who is also the CIMAC Vice President Communications. The panel was completed by the following experts from the engine industry:
- Kjeld Aabo, Director New Technologies, MAN Energy Solutions (Keynote Presentation)
- Charlotte Rojgaard, Bureau Veritas (Keynote Presentation)
- Dominik Schneiter, Vice President R&D, WINGD
- Nicolas Rouquette, Director Strategy and Global Cap Implementation, Total Marine Fuels
- Rene Diks, Managing Director Exhaust Gas Cleaning Systems, Alfa Laval
- Dr. Wolfgang Warnecke, Chief Scientist Mobility, Shell
Introducing the subject, Kjeld Aabo and Charlotte Rojgaard gave a keynote presentation of the current situation, as seen by the industry today. The presentation covered the engine maker’s perspective as well as a fuel testing agency’s perspective regarding the fuel of 2020 when the new regulations come into force. This ensued a lively discussion regarding the different options pertaining to solutions for the foreseeable future according to the panellists, which also included expertise from the fuel oil companies. The Circle was well attended with about 90 attendees and the presented slides are made available for download.