Report on 2nd CIMAC Circle during INMEX SMM, 2019 on 5th Oct, 2019 at Mumbai
On October 5, 2019, NMA India in collaboration with Central CIMAC (Germany) successfully organized the 2nd CIMAC India Circle during INMEX SMM, 2019 (the largest international maritime exposition organized biennially in India with wide participation of leading marine OEMs and representatives of Indian & global marine fraternity gathered for show casing the latest developments and products). The Indian national member association (NMA India) operates from IndianOil R&D Centre with Dr SSV Ramakumar, Director (R&D) as President, Dr Reji Mathai, CGM as Secretary and Mr Sauhard Singh, SRM as Treasurer. Its major activities are disseminating latest know-how to the marine fraternity, consolidate stake holder's views and articulate it at the right forums.
The theme of the 2nd CIMAC Circle was “MARPOL 2020 Compliance - Stakeholders Readiness”. Dr SSV Ramakumar, Director (R&D), IndianOil and President, NMA India chaired the session. Speakers from Woodward, Inc. (China), Winterthur Gas & Diesel Ltd. (Switzerland), Wartsila India P Limited, IndianOil and Shipping Corporation of India presented the Global scenario, engine & emission after-treatment technological challenges, fuels & lubricant solutions and costumer perspective for MARPOL 2020 compliance.
Dr. Reji Mathai, Chief General Manager, Indian Oil Corporation Limited and Secretary NMA India welcomed the gathering, presented the activities of NMA India and introduced the panel.
Setting the tone for the session, Chairperson Dr. SSV Ramakumar, stated that IndianOil's refineries have produced IMO 2020 compliant fuels. Elaborating on global perspective and technological options available for refiners to produce low sulphur marine oils for 2020 complying MARPOL standards, he highlighted the varied options to make MARPOL compliant fuel, its challenges towards fuel stability and economics of producing such fuels especially in India. He asserted that the readiness by IndianOil's refineries have put us at par with leading Oil companies of the world.
The other esteemed speakers addressed various topics, the gist of which is as follows:
- Mr Marc-Tran Heller, General Manager Asia Sales - Engine Systems, Woodward, Inc. shared the global perspective related to engine technology to meet IMO Tier III Compliance. The viable options and related challenges were brought out with great clarity.
- Mr Partha Ghosh, Executive Director (Fuel Optimization), IOCL, New Delhi talked about the readiness of Refineries to produce low sulphur Marine Fuels, stressing the fact that the economics will guide the varied available solutions.
- Mr Thomas F. Werner, Engine Programme Portfolio Manager, R&D, Winterthur Gas & Diesel Ltd., Switzerland presented the various engine technologies and after treatment solutions to meet NOx and SOx.
- Mr Werner informed that there is a continuous development of key engine components related to combustion to further reduce emissions beyond existing regulations, increase efficiency and offer full fuel flexibility.
- Dr Deepak Saxena, Executive Director (Lube Tech), IOCL, R&D, Faridabad presented the role of Lubricants in order to comply MARPOL emissions. Dr Saxena informed that IMO 2020 will bring a change in the marine lube oil product portfolio and ship owners can have various lube oil options depending upon the type of fuel used (low sulfur fuel or high sulfur fuel with scrubbers).
- Mr Sachin Kulkarni, Head Marine Sales – South Asia, Wartsila India P Limited, presented the Indian scenario of technology usage and steps being undertaken to have digital interventions.
- Mr Upendra Kumar, DGM I/c (SB&S), Shipping Corporation of India shared the user perspective for choosing viable solutions. He shared that users are assessing the pros and cons of various options like alternative fuels (LNG), Exhaust Gas Circulation (EGR), Sox Scrubbers etc for implementing IMO Tier III compliance.
The 2nd CIMAC Circle event was sponsored by IndianOil and was attended by more than 80 delegates from shipping industry, maritime institutes, oil companies and defence. Post presentations, queries on use of alternative fuels like methanol, LNG etc., digitalization in shipping, need of educational institutes to adopt faster to changing scenario were addressed by the eminent speakers.
A link to the event can be found here - https://www.inmex-smm-india.com/en/conference/CIMAC-Conference.html
Download the final program
In cooperation with